Written by: Brianna Minard, Membership Consultant, O2 Fitness @ Wilmington
Summer is almost here and the temperature is quickly rising! We know you are all ready to head outdoors for some of your workouts so follow these tips to exercise safely in the warm weather:
- During your first few hot weather workouts of the summer, cut back on your exercise duration or intensity. Start low and go slow!
- Avoid exercising at the hottest times of the day. Try early morning or evening. Pick a training route or exercise area that provides lots of shade: parks or tree-lined streets. Consider one of our air-conditioned facilities on humid/hot days.
- Monitor your heart rate and slow down if your pulse is higher than your target zone or if you don’t feel good.
- Train with other people when it’s extra hot. They’ll notice if you’re in trouble, even if you don’t.
- Know the symptoms of heat stress: nausea, dizziness, headache, chilling, muscle cramps, extreme breathlessness and a reduction in sweat rate. Stop exercise, get cool and hydrate.
- Drink plenty of fluids before and during your workout!
- Eat regularly throughout the day.
- Wear light, loose fitting clothes that can breathe.
- Wear sunscreen- Sunburn is not only bad for your skin, but it also hinders your body’s ability to stay cool.
- Avoid extreme changes in temperature. Don’t hop from being extremely hot and sweating excessively outside right into an ice cold, air-conditioned environment. Try to cool your body down slightly before exposing it to the extreme temperature variation.
Be smart, stay safe and enjoy the summer sun!